Landscape Supervisor – RockRidge Canyon
A Young Life of Canada property
Princeton, British Columbia, Canada
Job Title: Landscape Supervisor
Reports to: Site & Facilities Manager
Department: Site & Facilities, RockRidge Canyon
Roles Supervised: SIte & Facilities Interns, Summer Staff, work staff and volunteers
Work Location: RockRidge Canyon, Princeton, BC
Term: Full Time, Permanent
RockRidge Canyon is a Young Life of Canada property in Princeton, British Columbia, owned and operated by Young Life for the purpose of reaching teenagers with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It additionally functions as a Christian conference and retreat centre when not being used by Young Life.
RockRidge Canyon is committed to providing “intentional hospitality” to our guests. This means working to consistently exceed the expectations of our guests in quality of service, facilities, and overall experience.
The Landscape Supervisor is responsible to maintain the physical property and entire grounds, which includes some minor buildings. The Landscape Supervisor is an essential part of the Site & Facilities staff team, ensuring that the RRC site and facilities are maintained to Young Life’s standards of excellence. The role is hands-on and working day-to-day within Site and Facilities operations and maintenance.
These responsibilities are to be carried out in a way that honours Jesus Christ. The position demands a strong commitment to serving Christ, facilitating the mission of Young Life as expressed through camping, and serving guests with excellence. Young Life is a relational outreach ministry; all property staff must convey a sense of Christ-like hospitality and service for guests and staff. Responding to the unexpected needs of the guest in a prompt and professional manner is important and required. All property staff are expected to represent Young Life positively and professionally within the community.
- Model Christ in word, deed and actions.
- Model and promote Young Life’s mission, core values, and strategic plan. Represent Young Life positively and professionally within the community.
- Provide spiritual leadership to direct reports, interns, summer staff and volunteers.
- Pray for kids, Young Life volunteers, and fellow Young Life staff. Ensure that all ministry at RockRidge Canyon is designed and carried out with a dependence on prayer that flows from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ, pursuing personal spiritual growth and involvement in a local church.
The Landscape Supervisor performs work to assist in the maintenance and improvement of lawns, paths, gardens, athletic fields, sport courts, trails, lakefront, landscaped interiors and any other camp property areas, including soft and hard landscaping. The Landscape Supervisor will also assist in snow removal along pathways, stairs and other areas on the property in the winter months.
The Landscape Supervisor will perform some or all of the following duties:
- Spread top soil, lay sod, plant flowers, grass, shrubs and trees and perform other duties to assist with the improvement of a landscape and related areas
- Cut grass, rake, fertilize, pick rocks, and water lawns, weed landscaping, prune shrubs and trees, shovel snow, clean beach, coordinate / maintain irrigation and perform other maintenance duties as directed by manager
- Maintain trees, lawns and grass along roadsides
- Operate and maintain power mowers, tractors, chain saws, electric clippers, pruning saws, snowblowers and other landscape maintenance equipment
- Spray and dust trees, shrubs, lawns and gardens, as directed, to control insects and disease
- Perform other manual duties to clean and maintain landscaped environments
- Train and supervise seasonal interns, other grounds workers, and volunteers
- Respond to operational emergencies and urgent and unscheduled needs of guests.
- Performs other maintenance duties and projects as directed by the Site & Facilities Manager, which may include general maintenance, fix it items pertaining to buildings and grounds, sanding, staining and repairs.
Team Duties and Responsibilities
- Model open communication and work collaboratively with the property staff team and the Young Life staff team in support of Young Life’s mission, core values and strategic plan.
- Engage with and foster healthy relationships with the property staff team.
- Attend devotionals and staff meetings.
- Nourish a truthful, accountable, forgiving, joyful, and healthy work culture.
Personal and Professional Development
- Pursue opportunities to learn through books, podcasts, training courses
Young Life is a relational ministry. Staff must be able to convey a sense of Christ-like hospitality and concern for guests and staff. Responding to the unexpected needs of our guests in a prompt and professional manner is important and required.
- Maintain a positive attitude and a friendly, professional manner to create a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
- Observe and report unsafe work conditions to the relevant manager.
- Reply to radio calls professionally and respond to requests quickly and efficiently.
- Operate property vehicles safely; respect all signage, including speed limits and parking.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ.
- Involvement in a local church.
- Agreement with Young Life’s Statement of Faith.
Education and Experience
- Grade 12 Diploma or higher.
- A diploma, certificate, or trade qualification in landscape horticulture, grounds maintenance, or equivalent experience.
- Leadership experience giving direction and oversight to a crew of workers
- Fall Protection, Confined Space, WHMIS, Pest Management Applicator Certification, OFA Level 1, Dangerous Tree Risk Assessment Training, Faller Certification, are all assets.
- Minimum five years landscaping experience, or groundskeeping related experience.
- Basic computer literacy and keyboarding skills to create reports and use spreadsheets.
- General knowledge of vehicle maintenance and heavy-duty equipment.
- Ability to maintain/repair landscape equipment and small motors
- Work quickly and unobtrusively in a busy environment that frequently demands the ability to change priorities
- Demonstrated flexibility and responsiveness to schedule changes
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Able to navigate conflict situations, observant, perceptive and detail oriented.
- Creative problem solver.
- Take direction and execute oral and written instructions. Request clarification when needed.
- Effective verbal communicator and natural encourager. Good written communication skills, including email.
- Basic abilities in Microsoft Office suite and Google Suite.
Training and Certification
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Valid Standard First Aid (Level 1) certification is recommended
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and clean Driver’s Abstract or equivalent.
- Clean criminal record check, including vulnerable sector search, required as a condition of employment.
- Red Seal Landscape Horticulturist an asset
- Work is performed in a rural camp setting.
- Work is performed outdoors throughout the year in all weather conditions. It may involve some indoor work at times.
- Work will require individually lifting up to 50 lbs
- Work will require walking, pushing, squatting, kneeling, climbing, etc.
- Work is not sedentary and requires the employee to walk or stand for up to 95% of the time. Employee is required to look at a computer screen and use a keyboard for up to 5% of the time.
- Operating vehicles, power tools and other fleet equipment will happen regularly and must be done in a safe manner.
- The employee is required to see, talk and hear.
- Must be able to function out of doors in various weather and may also be in contact with various chemicals.
- Work is deadline driven.
- Work is seasonal and at times there will be large volumes of work to undertake.
Hours of Work
- This is a full time position working 40 hours per week.
- Work weeks in excess of 40 hours may be required during peak times of the year
- On call availability is expected
- This position may include situations that are potentially dangerous. Hazards are considered minor and controllable
- The employee is required to work in a safe manner at all times. Alertness and attention to standard operating procedures is a job requirement.
- Due to the nature of the job, and our commitment to a safe environment for teenagers and volunteers, the individual is subject to a criminal record check, including a vulnerable sector search, and must submit a current driver’s abstract.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of people in this position. Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing